The internet is big. Here are some of my favourite things.
- Justice by Michael Sandel (moral philosophy 101)
- The Sagan Series (short science videos)
- The Feynman Series (short science videos)
- Cosmos (science videos)
- Infinity – Dangerous Knowledge (the complexity of the universe)
- Rome (roman historical fiction from Caesar to Augustus)
- I, Claudius (roman historical fiction from Augustus to Claudius)
- Baraka (great movie)
- Lots of philosophy videos (philosophy)
- Carrier PBS Series (life aboard a US aircraft carrier)
- Naufragés des villes – (poverty in Montreal)
- The Power of Nightmares (3 part series on Terrorism and Neocons)
- The History of Surgery (5 part series on surgery)
- First as Tragedy, then as Farce – RSA – Slavoj Žižek
- Eben Moglan on Freedom without free software (1 hr)
- HyperNormalisation – (3 hr)
- The Trap (6 hr)
Business and Management
Sales and Pricing
Quality and Operations
- The Goal – Eliyahu Goldratt
Fun Business Bio Stories
- Shoe Dog by Phil Knight
- Acquired Podcast (see LVMH, Costco, Amazon episdodes)
- Losing the Signal (about Blackberry)
- The Spotify Play
Political / Economic
- Capital in the 21st Century – Thomas Picketty
- Capital et Idéologie – Thomas Picketty
- The Tyranny of Merit – Michael Sandel
- And the Weak Shall Suffer What they Must – Yanis Varoufakis
- The Road to Wigan Pier by George Orwell
- Fooled by Randomness – Nicholas Taleb
- Worldly Philosophers – Robert Heilbroner
- The Deficit Myth (first half at least) – Stephanie Kelton
- They thought they were free (first half) – Milton Mayer
Social Sciences and Anthropology
- The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt
- Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond
- Understanding Power by Noam Chomsky
- From Dictatorship to Democracy by Gene Sharp
- The Black Jacobins – C.L.R James
History & Biography
- Champlain’s Dream – David Hackett Fischer
- A Fair Country – John Ralston Saul
- Mahomet et Charlemagne – Henri Pirenne
- Humanly Possible – Sarah Blackwell
- Les Misérables – Victor Hugo
Essays of note
- Discours sur la servitude en français moderne – Henrie de la Boétie (1549)
- The Myth of Asia’s Miracle – Paul Krugman – Foreign Affairs (1994)
- Trial by Fire (on the death penalty) – David Grann – New Yorker (2009)
- Culture and Leisure – W.H. Auden (1966)
- The ecstasy of influence – Jonathan Lethem – Harper’s (2007)
- A history of violence – Steven Pinker – The Edge (2011)
- Coase’s Penguin, or, Linux and The Nature of the Firm – Yohai Benkler (2002)
- The Case for Reparations – Ta-Nehisi Coates
- 5,000 Years of Debt – David Graeber
- Between the World and Me – Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Now out of Never: The Element of Surprise in the East European Revolution of 1989 – Tim Kuran
- The Israel Lobby – Merscheimer and Walt
- Let’s talk about injustice – social injustice in the USA.
- A Doctor’s Touch – about doctor’s real job.
- Benjamin Zander – on passion and classical music.
- Jill Bolte Taylor – on the right side of your brain.
- Ken Robinson – on education and creativity.
- Salman Kahn – on education in a digital world.
- Jonathan Haidt – on morality for liberals and conservatives.
- Aaron Huey – on the destruction of native american communities.
- Lisa Kristine – on glimpses of modern slavery.
- Richard Dawkins – on the strangeness of science.
- Salman Kahn – How AI could save education
News & Magazine of note
- Financial Times
- Al Jazeera English
- Courrier International
- Le monde diplomatique
- Lapham’s Quarterly
- Nouveau Projet
Some of my own talks
- Montreal Ouvert at TEDxConcordia
- Time to upgrade democracy at TEDxMontreal
- Lois d’accès à l’information à la commission parlementaire à l’Assemblée nationale du Québec
- Revenu de base (TEDxQuébec)
- ECO Canada video about my career path – Jonathan Brun and in French